Wednesday, October 17, 2007

When I Grow Up...

Do you know how hard it is to teach kids to write? Do you remember learning how to write? I don't. I have no memories of my teachers teaching me how to write. I'm a teacher, and I really don't know how to teach kids to write. I mean, I teach them the writing process, we do peer editing, I have some amazing organizers to help them get their thoughts collected and in order. I pull out all the tricks I have to make them better writers. I don't know that what I do helps them, though.

I love to write. I always have. I don't get a huge kick out of writing essays or research papers, but other than that, I love to write. I even love to edit other people's work. There's something satisfying about fixing what someone writes to make it the best it can be. I love blogging. It's writing at it's best. I just write what I'm thinking. I don't have to do a pre-writing organizer, a rough draft, editing, none of that junk. I just let my ideas flow.

Those of you who really know me know that I do not have the best self-esteem. I don't really see myself as having many strengths. However, I think I am a good writer. I like what I write. When I reread things I have written, I'm proud of how it turned out. I've actually had a few people recently tell me that they like my writing. Two girls have told me that after reading my blog. One tells me about once a month. ;) I love to hear that!!

I was asked the other day by a student what I would do if I wasn't a teacher. I would write. I wish I could make money doing it. I would LOVE that!! Can you imagine making money to do something you are SO passionate about? Something that makes you feel good about yourself? I suppose some think teaching should be that for me. It is sometimes, but there are so many demands...so many requirements...so much that rides on everything you do.

Now you know why I've decided when I grow up, I want to be a writer. Aren't I grown up now? Nope. I don't know when I'll grow up. Heck, I may never grow up. But if I do, watch for my name in print. :)

5 Things for which I'm Thankful (in no particular order)...

1. Spell Check
2. My writing teachers (even though I don't remember what you taught me)
3. Feeling good about myself
4. The Gift for Gab
5. Dreams of someday growing up

5 comments:

Shawnna Samples said...

I think those two gals are on to something -- YOU KNOW I AM A HUGE FAN OF YOUR WRITING -- geesh what would happen to me if you weren't so awesome

i think it would go something like this -- "WHAT THE HECK -- you want me to publish this mumbo jumbo - long list of runon sentences with out any punctuation-- THAT IS IT YOU ARE FIRED ---

see -- that wouldn't be good - now would it

Shawnna Samples said...

I TAGGED YOU ON MY BLOG
Hope you get a chance to play along

Anonymous said...

I think you have great talent that you dont even see.
You make everyone feel good that is around you. You know how to make people at ease and you can talk to anyone no matter their education. You have a wonderful singing voice that makes me cry when I hear it because it is so wonderful to listen to. And writing, well I know of a couple of girls, DE & SG, that read your blog but dont comment that say how interesting you make just every day things sound.

There are things that each of us would like to change about ourselves but we dont all have the numberous things that you have to be proud of.

Lan said...

Hi Erin,

I didn't know you have a blog? I was browsing Shawnna's which was probably my first or second time and saw that she tagged you. You are an awesome writer. Have a great day!

Tina said...

'Anon' put it so well, and I'm not a writer, so I can't! I just echo everything that they said!

Love your Blog!